Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Santorini, Greece




Santorini is the quintessential island in the Cyclades. The island is not only blessed with iconic white and blue architecture, but also has one big cliff on the western side that overlooks a caldera (water-filled) that was formed from a volcanic eruption over 3,500 years ago.

Because of volcanic activity, Santorini has miles of black-sand beaches on its eastern part. The island also contains a White Sand Beach and a Red Sand Beach, both of which have cliffs of the eponymous color.

I had two memorable experiences in Santorini. First, the hike between the towns of Fira and Oia. This coastal walk led me past stunning coastal vistas. I saw first the southwestern and then the northwestern coasts unfold before me. Moreover, there were instances when I saw both the caldera and Aegean Sea sides, therefore seeing both bodies of water. The volcanic island of Nea Kameni was also visible.

My second highlight was visiting the town of Oia, on the northwestern tip of the island. This town is famous for its sunsets, which were slightly cloudy according to my observations (I was there twice). Oia is also has the highest concentration of blue-domed churches perched by the caldera and a couple of windmills. The town of course had its fair share of white and blue “cave homes”. All of these structures together produce stunning sceneries and photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment