Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ljubljana, Slovenia




Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, is a town that reminded of Graz, Austria. Both towns have their fair share of Baroque and contemporary architecture; a river flows through the heart of each; and there is a castle perched on a hill in each city.

Ljubljana is small enough that one can cover the sights in less than one day. My highlights included the views from atop castle hill, witnessing a traditional Slovenian dance at a wedding and wandering into the village-like neighborhoods of Krakovo and Trnovo. It’s amazing how small Ljubljana is--walk 15 minutes south of the city center and one will feel like one has stepped into the countryside.

One memorable experience was my first tasting of horse meat, which I was told is not typical Slovenian cuisine. I consumed this is the form of a burger. I actually enjoyed horse meat more than beef as it was leaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment