Friday, June 26, 2009

Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast



Having visited Cinque Terre a few years ago, I was keen on visiting another part of Italy’s spectacular coastline--the Amalfi Coast. This area is located south of Naples, which I happily passed through to avoid the chaos.

I decided to use the town of Sorrento as a base to explore the region. My first day was spent on a bus ride down part of the Amalfi Coast, from Sorrento to Amalfi. The drive was gorgeous, along steep cliffs that dropped right into the sea. It’s comparable to California’s Big Sur, if not more dramatic and adrenaline-filled. The road was so curvy and narrow that I was surprised there were no accidents.

My second and final day was spent exploring the famed island of Capri. This posh island is filled with panoramic viewpoints of the sea and its cliffs. Furthermore, there are numerous grottoes underneath these cliffs worth exploring. The architecture, however, was mostly mid-20th century and lacked a certain quaintness to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment