Sunday, June 21, 2009

Burgundy, France





Burgundy is one of France’s premier wine regions, producing fine wines using Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Chablis. I came to experience the food and wine of this heartland in France.
I stayed with CouchSurfers Raph and Christoph in the town of Beaune and in many ways, their hospitality and accommodation made me feel like I was in a B&B. I got the wonderful opportunity to stay in their “zen room”, beautifully decorated with wooden furniture and artifacts.
Raph drove me around the vineyards of Beaune in which we had a birds-eye view of the towns, hills and vines of the region. The place is as beautiful as heaven. We also walked around the town of Beaune, which has Medieval stone and shutter architecture very similar to Sarlat.
One of the highlights was visiting an old hospital called the Hospices de Beaune. This complex has a courtyard with ornate and colorful tile architecture. Furthermore, it has a Hall of the Poor with beds lined up alongside the walls.
Another highlight was tasting the gastronomy of the region. I ordered a menu de jour and savored escargots (snails), boeuf Bourguignon (tender beef cooked in wine) and an apricot tart. And of course, this meal was accompanied by fine Burgundy red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment