Sunday, June 7, 2009

Champagne, France


I decided to continue my wine tour of France by visiting the famed Champagne region, just 45 minutes by high-speed TGV train from Paris. I arrived at Reims, the regional capital.
I have to say that Reims is one of the few places in France that I dislike. This is because the city’s architecture is very hodgepodge, with both unattractive old and new buildings. I did, however, enjoy Reims’ gigantic Gothic cathedral with its stained-glass windows. This was the place where most of France’s kings were coronated.

At Reims, I visited one Champagne cellar, Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin, one of France’s most prestigious brands. Despite the prestige of the winery, I wasn’t impressed by the visit as I felt it was expensive, commercialized and formal, quite opposite from what I experienced in Bordeaux and in the Loire Valley. The tour consisted of an explanation of the Champagne making process, visiting the cellar and tasting one sample of Brut Champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment