Sunday, May 17, 2009

To Fill in the Gaps

It has been a while since I last updated this blog. What has happened to me since the beginning of March?

Well, I spent the rest of March and the beginning of April enjoying Cape Town, the Western Cape province (both of which is in South Africa) and then taking an overland camping trip through Namibia, Botswana and to Victoria Falls. Along the way, I saw a bunch of wildlife (e.g., elephants, giraffes, lions, cheetahs), sand dunes, river deltas and absolute emptiness.
I must say that the most profound moment of this trip was observing the absolute poverty in Zimbabwe-- people there were begging for clothing. This just highlights the vast inequalities in this world. Most of us have a bunch of “junk” that we could easily give away. This “junk” is another person’s “valuable”. The people there need our help and tourism. Unlike how Western media has portrayed the country, Zimbabwe is a relatively safe country.

I then spent the last three weeks of April in San Diego trying to sublet my place, which still hasn’t worked out but is looking promising for June onwards. Despite all of this, I decided to continuing my round-the-world journey as I knew that this was a golden opportunity to see most of the places I’ve always wanted to see, with the time that I had. Furthermore, I wanted an extended period of time to get away, be inspired and figure out what I want to do with my life. Thus, I decided to embark on the second leg of my trip, a 3-4 month European vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment