Monday, December 7, 2009

Byron Bay, Australia


For my last stop in Australia, I decided to cross into New South Wales state and visit Bryon Bay, home of the easternmost point in Australia.

Byron Bay is known for surfing, art and is alternative lifestyle. The latter includes yoga, meditation and organic food. When I visited, the town was packed due to schoolies week, a period of debauchery and drunkenness for graduating high school seniors.

My highlight of my stay was the hike around Cape Byron. There, I was able to hike through coastal rainforest while at the same time admiring the rocky coastline and pristine beaches. The path took me to the Cape Byron Lighthouse, which is near Australia’s most easterly point.

At this point, I am ready to move onto Malaysia and the rest of Southeast Asia. I enjoyed my time in Australia, but am a bit “beached out.” I believe good things are best enjoyed sparingly. Australia has the world’s most beautiful beaches and scenery, but is culturally devoid, just like the U.S. I am ready for a unique cultural experience in Southeast Asia!

No comments:

Post a Comment